Real Estate News and information for Clearwater Beach, St. Petersburg, St. Pete Beach, Treasure Island, Madeira Beach and Gulf Beaches of Tampa Bay. Blog by Kohan & Associates.
Wednesday, June 10, 2015
Home Maintenance Checklist
Many of us go about annual cleaning rituals to spruce up the appearance and cleanliness of our homes. This year you might consider taking a few additional steps to save on energy bills and ward off repairs later.
1. Have a licensed technician tune up your air conditioner. Dirty filters make your cooling system work harder which can increase energy costs and damage equipment. Check and clean the drains to remove sediment and algae which can cause clogs or water back up, making a home more humid or creating water damage.
2. Set your programmable thermostat to hold or vacation mode for a constant, efficient temperature. Use fans when people are in rooms to make the settings more tolerable.
3. If there are gaps around doors or windows, reapply exterior caulk. Add weatherstripping around doors if any sunlight can be seen from inside.
4. Clean gutters of nature's debris. Add extensions to downspouts to carry water at least 3 feet away from the home's foundation.
5. Use a garden sprayer to apply a bleach and water solution to your roof. This will remove dark streaks and stains which indicate an algae problem. Be sure to rinse.
6. Remove exterior dirt and mold from siding, decking, driveways and fences by pressure washing.
7. Clean your windows by washing the glass, vacuuming the sills and tracks, and clearing the weep holes.
8. Reseal wooden decking or replace any soft, spongy, decayed areas.
9. If you have a fireplace, call a chimney sweep to make sure the caps are in place and the damper is working properly.
10. Tune up your lawn mower so the blades are sharp. This prevents grass tearing leaving it vulnerable to disease, sun damage and insects.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment