Tuesday, June 30, 2015
Universal curbside recycling debuted on Monday, June 29, 2015. The program began in the Old Southeast neighborhood of St.Petersburg. Mayor Rick Kriseman watched as the first load of recyclables dropped from the bin into the truck. "I know that our residents will do the right thing for our city and for the environment," he said. The city joined local cities of Gulfport, Pinellas Park and Tampa which already had universal curbside service. city workers have delivered thousands of 95-gallon bins to residents. Plastics, glass, cans and other recyclable items will be picked up once every two weeks. Added to their monthly utility bill will be a $2.95 monthly fee. This will pay for trucks, containers, maintenance, fuel and processing. Seven trucks have been purchased to implement the city's new recycling program.
Wednesday, June 10, 2015
Many of us go about annual cleaning rituals to spruce up the appearance and cleanliness of our homes. This year you might consider taking a few additional steps to save on energy bills and ward off repairs later.
1. Have a licensed technician tune up your air conditioner. Dirty filters make your cooling system work harder which can increase energy costs and damage equipment. Check and clean the drains to remove sediment and algae which can cause clogs or water back up, making a home more humid or creating water damage.
2. Set your programmable thermostat to hold or vacation mode for a constant, efficient temperature. Use fans when people are in rooms to make the settings more tolerable.
3. If there are gaps around doors or windows, reapply exterior caulk. Add weatherstripping around doors if any sunlight can be seen from inside.
4. Clean gutters of nature's debris. Add extensions to downspouts to carry water at least 3 feet away from the home's foundation.
5. Use a garden sprayer to apply a bleach and water solution to your roof. This will remove dark streaks and stains which indicate an algae problem. Be sure to rinse.
6. Remove exterior dirt and mold from siding, decking, driveways and fences by pressure washing.
7. Clean your windows by washing the glass, vacuuming the sills and tracks, and clearing the weep holes.
8. Reseal wooden decking or replace any soft, spongy, decayed areas.
9. If you have a fireplace, call a chimney sweep to make sure the caps are in place and the damper is working properly.
10. Tune up your lawn mower so the blades are sharp. This prevents grass tearing leaving it vulnerable to disease, sun damage and insects.